What is micro interaction in the end?
Micro interaction is usually concerned with single events or single tasks, which interact with all parts of APP. The purpose of these micro interactions is to make the user feel smooth and joyful, and to create an attractive or pleasing moment by the designer, or to let the user feel humanized at this moment.
Look at the following interaction.
Facebook Messenger, the dynamic expression of the thumb
This animation is a typical case of micro interaction. It implements three important functions:
- Present state and give feedback
- Enhance user’s manipulative sense
- Help users see the results of the interaction
Decomposing micro interaction
Micro interaction is usually composed of four parts:
- Trigger. The trigger of micro interaction can be triggered by users or automatically initiated by the system. User triggered micro interaction usually needs to initiate an action to start, and the micro interaction triggered by the system is usually triggered by APP detecting certain conditions.
- Rules. Rules determine what happens after triggering.
- Feedback. Feedback lets the user know what has happened. Any user sees, hears and feels feedback when the micro interaction happens.
- Cycle and mode. Cycle and mode determine what microinteraction will happen again, and how the micro interaction will change with changing conditions.
Why is micro interaction so important?
Micro interaction is really a tiny design element, but why do designers invest so much energy on it? The answer to this problem is very important. For designers and developers, it should be known that micro interaction makes the user easier to understand the function, and it is an emotional design.
Micro interaction benefits a lot of products:
- It makes web sites easier to navigate
- They make it easier for users to interact with websites
- They provide users with instant feedback after interaction.
- They give the user a hint of information
- They inform users of information related to elements, such as whether controls are interactive.
- They make the user experience more valuable
- They encourage users to share, point out, and comment on the content
- They make the website more sensual and more humane
Meticulously designed micro interaction is a sign of considerate users’ care for users. That’s why micro interaction is so important. Through instant feedback, users will understand what they should do and whether they do the right thing.
The design of appropriate micro interaction allows users to have a positive impact on the product and brand, and even to the user’s behavior, and most people do not know why. According to the “hollows effect”, if the user likes a certain aspect of the product, it may enlarge so that he has a positive attitude towards the whole product, and vice versa. If we can make good use of this principle, we can get twice the result with half the effort in designing the product, and make the users more satisfied through proper detail control.